Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Earth day is right around the corner

and everything I pick up is a constant reminder.

At first I thought "Hey, people are getting this!" then I realized that it was a clever marketing ploy. "What should we put in the magazine this month?" "Oh just throw in some Earth Day stuff, next month we'll do that spread on what type of diaper Brangelina thinks is best."
"Oh and did we get that shipment of virgin paper to print with horribly toxic ink on?"

I know - I'm speaking hyperbolically - but I really get peeved that the easier it becomes to be "green" the more packaging, wasteful products, etc companies come up with to waste our money on!

OK - I'll step off my soapbox - I'm really not here to complain...
I'm here to make you feel guilty about your choices!


Here are my Earth Day resolutions - things that I have decided to do to help save the world:

Switch to hankies
During allergy season I use many, many, many tissues! I do try to buy the ones made of recycled paper, but that is not always possible.

Get the clothesline out
It is almost warm enough to get our clothesline back out. The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to keep my clothes from drying all wrinkly - any suggestions for easy outdoor drying????

Stop getting lids and straws at restaurants.
Each time I hit Bread Co. I've decided that I definitely do NOT need a lid nor do I need the stupid plastic straw wrapped in plastic. Also at "fancy" restaurants (those where they bring your drinks in real glass, glasses) I am going to stop asking for straws, too.

For ladies only - I'm warning you, men, if you are sensitive, you will not want to read this one:
I'm going to start buying stuff from diaperware.com- check out "mooncare"... I think this is a bit too sensitive/personal to share with you on the blog - so don't expect any reviews!

Finally - after we pay our outrageous tax bill! (I know, no politics) I am investing in some good canvas (organically produced, of course) bags for grocery shopping. Now I wish I had a good corner market where I could walk and shop daily... argh - stupid Regal Foods, stupid gas station people who won't sell to the organic cool market! Just wait, I'll save the neighborhood after I save the world. I can only do one project at a time!


whoo hoo - look out world! I'm comin' to save ya'! I know these don't seem like HUGE changes, but I think that is the point. You can't change your life style in one day/month/year it is going to take many little steps...

Feel free to post your thoughts on drying clothes outside - or on little things you can do that could make a big impact...


(Thanks to www.parks.ashland.or.us/earthday/ for the cool logo - their earth day celebration sounds pretty neat - carbon neutral, zero waste... wow!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recommend http://www.digg.com/environment
for decently frequent updates on new technologies and ideas concerning the environment. The digg community is full of eco-friendly people.

http://www.digg.com is their main page, it's a great news feed site i check daily
sometimes environment stories get tagged incorrectly and sent to the main page anyway.

SEE YA

Erin said...

Thanks Kyle -
I'll have to check it out!