Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ramblings on 'my little failures'...

This summer I went to the local big box lawn and garden center to help me out in the garden. I needed some tools, some seeds, and some plants to pretty up the front yard (at the moment I won't get into how the plants weren't organically grown, and were probably grown by people in a foreign land that were paid squat to grow and tend my new azaleas). I was armed with my new knowledge about saving the earth - I had watched the SOS Concert for the Earth (I wanted to see the Police perform!) and let's face it - you know everything when you watch tv!

I really needed to get rid of some pesky weeds that would not go away no matter how many times I tried to pull their roots from the earth (or rather parking pad). But I did what I had to do. What would you have done in my place?

So, I bought - gasp - Roundup... I literally hid it in my cart and tried not to make eye contact with the cashier. Then to add insult to injury - the cashier place the gallon of Roundup - which had a handle, mind you, into a plastic bag!

This summer I also committed the following offenses:

I traveled over 6500 miles - mostly by car and one long plane ride

I cleaned out the fridge (using a baking soda paste - good)
but I had to throw away a few glass and recyclable plastic containers (bad)... I really couldn't handle trying to tame the black/blue/green/white stuff out of various and sundry containers. Besides - the stuff growing in there was probably toxic. Would you have wanted that in your drinking water?

I used the air conditioner unapologetically! (It's still on!)
I like to pretend that my allergies are the main reason - but let's face it - I LOVE air conditioning. The room should be at a nice comfortable 65 degrees for me to sleep. I think it is the 8th deadly sin: fridgid-ity? Coolness? I'll stop.

I watered the lawn
Really not the most responsible use of water - especially after visiting areas seriously affected by drought. Ed Begley Jr got rid of his lawn altogether - I do like him...

I'm sure I could tell you more about why I'm an Earth-Failure - but then who would you turn to for guidance and support... Besides, we are all bound to mess up once in a while, that's why I am extra-militant about the things that I can do. (I bought Seventh Generation toilet paper - sacrificing comfort for the greater good. Isn't that almost the Jesuit motto?)

Well - Good night - I may be going to go to bed now in my 65 degree bedroom but tomorrow - I... shall... ride my bike... once again!!!

(Triumphant exit music)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should totally post these confessions on www.truegreenconfessions.com

I found it through greenlagirl.com and laughed my head off.

Not only can people comment, but they can add themselves to the "me, too" category of your posting if they agree with you.

You've turned me into a little bit of a monster with this stuff...Nathan was laughing at the "Cruelty-Free" contact solution I bought at Whole Foods the other day. :) It really didn't cost any more than Opti-Free...so why not?

Anonymous said...

Suggestion: figure out what you REALLY want to water (plant-wise) and use "gray" water--whatever's left after you wash the dishes, wash your hair, etc. Or get a rain barrel to collect rain water--just make sure you cover it so it's not a breeding den for West Nile virus.-Erin B

Anonymous said...

This is me bragging: I had a party this weekend (sorry you weren't invited...it was for Ryan's people--they're a special brand)...and I made everyone recycle their bottles/cans, I didn't provide paper plates or plastic cups so we used the real (re-usable) stuff, and I'm using the melted ice in the cooler to water my plants for the next week or two. Huzzah! -Erin B